Georgia Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Those driving under the influence can change the course of their life and other’s in an instant. If you or a loved one have been harmed by a drunk driver behind the wheel, contact our Georgia drunk driving accident attorneys at Southside to give you the legal care you deserve.
Drunk Driving Accidents in Georgia
Georgia law prohibits being physically in control of a motorized vehicle if:
- the driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or greater
- the driver is under the age of 21 and has a BAC of .02% or greater
- the driver is under the influence of other drugs or illegal substances
A driver can be charged with DUI damages from the use of both alcohol and drugs. When convicting a drunk driver, it is important to recover damages regardless of their level of impairment.
Our drunk driving accident attorneys can help get you compensation
The shock, damages, and pain that you or your loved ones may experience in a drunk driving accident can be devestating. Unfortunatley, some victims may wish for the experience to be over quickly and will settle for less than what they deserve. At Southside, we will conduct a thorough investigation of the incident and driver to ensure you get the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you recover compensation to ease financial burdens and hold drunk drivers liable for their reckless actions. We can help you recover damges for:
- Present and future medical expenses
- Lost income from time off work
- Pain and suffering
- Physical disfigurement
- Property damage
- Wrongful death
It is important to understand you should be patient after the drunk driver’s insurance company offers a payout. Our attorneys will analyze the rulings from the driver’s criminal trial to see if further damages can be recovered. Here, we can proceed with getting you entitled punative damages that punish the drunk driver for the harm they have inflicted and could potentially inflict again.
What do I do if i was a passenger in a drunk driving accident?
Passengers in drunk driving accidents are also due compensation. These claims are brought to the driver’s insurance company, even if the drunk driver was the driver of the vehicle you were in. These damages are similar to the injured driver’s such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income from time off work
- Pain and suffering
Other options of compensation can include holding other parties accountable such as the bars or restaurants that sold alcohol to the driver, whether the driver was driving the vehicle you were in or the other vehicle.
What should I do if i was hit by a drunk driver?
- Call 911 if you are able and file an accident report
- Seek medical attention for yourself and other parties
- Collect any information and evidence from the driver who hit you such as condition of impairment, alcohol or pill bottles in the vehicle, appearence of the driver (red eyes, grogginess) etc.
- Contact your insurance company
- Contact a Southside drunk driving accident attorney to begin investigation immediatley
What if the drunk driver does not have insurance?
Even if the drunk driver does not have car insurance, they may still have financial assests. Therefore, a claim can still be filed against the driver as well as a possible third party.
“Social host” liability can be used to civially file against those who allow their guests to leave intoxciated from a gathering.
“Dram shop” laws in Georgia prevent establishments such as bars and restaurants from overserving initoxicated customers. When broken, a drunk driving victim can hold these establishments liable.
What if the driver had above or below .08% BAC?
If the driver had a BAC below .08%, they still can be charged with driving under the influence. In Georgia, officers have the right to pull over and arrest anyone who displays impairment from alcohol or reckless driving.
If the driver had a BAC above .08%, you still will be compensated for the injuries you sustained. These damages can include medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and any disabilities. Punitive damages can be be filed against the driver if their BAC was significantly above the legal limit and a jury feels the driver’s actions were greatly harmful.
- Drivers that admitted to driving impaired 11% 11%
- Tested drivers that had taken a drug that could affect safety driving 25% 25%
- Auto fatalities that are DUI related in Georgia 30% 30%
- Convicted drunk drivers that will continue to drive on a suspended license 65% 65%
- Likelihood an individual will be involved in a drunk driving accident in their life 66% 66%
With Southside Injury Attorneys, you can expect
Results. Southside Personal Injury Attorneys give aggressive and expert representation that wins clients nothing less than what they deserve. Our track record of success speaks for itself.
Relationships. Our team of attorneys and staff give every client the personal care and attention they deserve. We care others and our community like our own family.
Expertise. With over 100 years of combined experience, hundreds of cases handled, and even trials resulting in law changes, know that our attorneys have the knowledge to handle every personal injury case.
REQUEST A FREE
*All form fields are required